The HullaBoard

The HullaBoard (http://www.hulla.info/board/index.php)
-   Hullabaloo! [special edition] - The Anthems (http://www.hulla.info/board/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Happy Birthday Hullabaloo (http://www.hulla.info/board/showthread.php?t=8153)

hyppy June 21st, 2002 11:24 AM

Happy Birthday Hullabaloo

Wow... was it 6 years ago this very night???

My friends Joel and Dan and I parked at 28 Gunns Road. We got out of the car and walked up to the door leading to the stairs down. The guy working the door asked us "are you guys all twins or something?" We didn't notice until that very moment that we had all decided to wear horizontally striped t-shirts, jeans, and a backwards baseball cap! Quelle dommage!!

Down we went, and we strolled around the premeses. It was moderately sparsely attended, but everybody was right down with it all. All smiles, zero attitude, no pretention, and really excellent music. I don't remember much about the night, but I remember grooving like mad to Anabolic Frolic (he blew me away at Not The End 2 [with the MC Easy J, no less!], so I had to check out his party), a great live PA by Mental Floss, and... uh.. well that's all I remember really. Oh, and Hixxy was supposed to come, but he got held up at customs.

Either way, it truly was SOMETHING GOOD. In my confusing and turbulant late teens, Hullabaloo was IT. It was THE BIG ONE. The ONLY ONE. It was the model after which other events only tried to model themselves, but the original could never be duplicated.

Hullabaloo introduced me to a world of new music and a sea of awestruck faces. For $15-$25 a pop I witnessed and was a part of history. MC Ruff and DJ Spinback. A girl giving me a large wooden bead necklace at Hulla 3. Ruffneck at Hulla 3 (all of Hulla 3 for that matter). Slipmatt with JD and E By Gum.

My most prominant Hulla memory, you wonder? I treated my friend Becky to a Hulla ticket for her birthday one year, but I arrived more than an hour late and she was nowhere to be found. Finally, hours later, I ran into her inside, her ticket still in my pocket. She and I came across Frolic soon after and told him our story. He considered it for about 1.5 seconds before taking my ticket and giving Becky her money back. PROPS.

Thanks Chris and to all the Hulla staff and attendees. My life is forever changed.

Happy Hullabaloo.

Brian

KWIK June 21st, 2002 04:26 PM

the talent toronto has seen... thanks to hulla! thanks for everything. memories last a life time.

andy.

anabolic frolic June 21st, 2002 04:48 PM

yeah june 21st 1997 was the date of our first event so today is the real hulla birthday. :)

Applefaerie June 21st, 2002 06:14 PM

happy birthday hulla!
solstice is a gooood time to start stuff yo wise choice chris *if you beleive in that astrology stuff that is ;) *
last event, field of dreams, i had 2 people in my party who had never been before, it was my second, and it was soooo cool to see first hand not one but 2 peoples lives change just from attending one event. i <3 hullabaloo and all the stuff that goes on there, its an amazing night every time.
thankyou chris and everyone else who has ever had a hand in making this happen
and happybirthday to hulla :)

Wunderbrat July 4th, 2002 03:02 PM

hulla changed my life too.
haven't been to a hulla since funtopia 3
but I still have so many friends who came into my life either directly or indirectly of hullabaloo.
shouldnt' Anthems be a Funtopia party?
happy bday

Rick