View Single Post
Old February 7th, 2005, 12:27 PM   #40
Poodirinky
Hullaboarder

A review from a hulla newbie!

Taken from my purerave journal (poodirinky):

Well I'm in class now, and rather than do my lab, I'm going to post about hulla.

Soooo.. After doing a bunch of stupid running around here in Kingston that we all shoulda done earlier, me, my g/f (http://my.purerave.com/user/candy_cayne/), and our friend Cyndi (http://my.purerave.com/user/critter/) FINALLY hit the road to Toronto!

So on the road for my first party, Tag, the highway was like a fucking blizzard.... Not this time!

Instead, it's ... the fog of death! I swear, one of these times we'll have normal driving conditions.. ::

AAAAANYWAYS... So we finally get to the venue, and there's like, uber-cheap parking like, not even two blocks away.. At Tag, I paid like $20 for overnight parking. At Hulla, I paid.. $3. ::crazy:: We did our last minute getting ready things (I put on my "My first Hulla .... hug me?" shirt, the ladies do the makeup/hair thing) in the car, and get into the place a little after 10, so we missed Gobstopper's set

Being fairly new to the scene, I'm not particularly picky with my genres or that, I'm pretty open, so I'll just run down what I remember from the sets...

9 - DJ Gobstopper - missed it.
10 - Scoots - Was spinnin' when we got there.. Truth be told, I wasn't really paying much attention to the grooves.. I was still in awe of the amount of people, and the venue, and just taking everything in.. For the last half or third of set though, I found it pretty rockin.
11 - D-Minus - This is when the tunes started to consume me (and before you ask, I was sober as a brick.. drugs are baaaaad, mmm'kay?) .. I broke out the glowsticks, and boogied it up.
12 - Capital J - My g/f told me that I'd like jungle/DnB when they were gunna spin it at Tag.. I didn't really dig it at Tag, but sweet fucking jesus, I loved this set. So much energy!
1 - Sharkey - I know (not personally, since like I said, I'm a "newb") that this was a big return for him and stuff, but the three of us wanted to explore, and I was pretty parched, so we went upstairs and had a couple of drinks.. Well.. I had two drinks, they had none.. I ran into Timmy (thanks for the blowpop!!! : who invited me to a party on the 12th of March.. The Missing Peace.. I might (probably will...? : end up going to that.. From what my g/f says, and from what I know myself, the lineup looks good! Anyways, I'm sorta off-topic.. Whoops. Point is, we didn't really get to "feel" much of Sharkey's set, but what I heard was pretty dope!
2 - Anabolic Frolic - Man! My g/f mentioned that while he doesn't do the most complicated tricks while spinning, he knows how to work a crowd, and work us he did! Great tunes from Mr. Hulla himself!!!
3 - Frisky - Probably my 2nd favorite set of the night, after Special J.. I found this set to start off a LITTLE slow, but once he got going, HOOOOOOO boy, look out. ::crazy::
4 - Subsonic Chronic - Cyndi was kinda beat, and tired all night.. She had fun, but she didn't really have much energy, and at this point, she was drained, and truth be told, so was I, and my g/f was kinda out of it too.. So this set was where we "took a bit of a break", so to speak...
5 - Silver1 - Didn't stay for this set, as like I said, the last set sorta took it's toll on us.. And we were beat, and didn't have any afterparties to go to (we have no friends, I guess..), so we had to hit the road, and yeah.. we probably left around 5:15 or so.

After looking for a nearby Denny's (with no luck.. grrr..), we hit the road... Stopped at the Whitby Timmy's/Wendy's/McD's/etc stop... Got some breakfast.. and slept in the car for a while before coming back home!

All in all, an amazing time, thanks to everyone who put it on... And thanks everyone for the hugs, and making my first hulla a phenomenal one!! I'm sure there's soooo much more I'm forgetting! :: ::crazy::