View Single Post
Old June 21st, 2006, 09:49 PM   #33
Weaver
Hullaboarder

Photos: 11  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
hehe i think i'll try to explain torrrents to everyone

torrents are wierd becasue its not like conventional Peer to peer transfering, so thus here how torrents work:

1) The website hosts a torrent file, which is openable in any bit torrent program, Bit comet and azureus are the most popular I believe.

2)This torrent file is very small, only 50kb, so the hosting site does not need to waste massive amounts of bandwidth hosting thier files, then can simply host a torrent!

3)So, the process is this:
-Get a torrent program (Bit comet I really like)
-Click on the link to the torrent file hosted on the hulla site
-This should automatically open up your bit torrent program (such as bit comet) and it will start looking for sources to download from.

4) The last point above is the beauty of it, the sources it looks for are other people just like you and me, people who AREN'T the websever, and they upload the files from eachother. Each source you can download from is called a seed, the more seeders the faster the file.

Now this is a great philosophy, but the only problem is the torrent can "die" is what the term is called. When there is no seeders, no one else can get the file to seed it, thus its kinda a catch 22.

Just right now im trying to get the frolic set from return to the vibe, and there were no sources. But it started downloading, meaning someone with the file opened thier bit torrent cilent and has it in thier list still, thus allowing it to upload!

Since im nice, once its done i'll keep my bit torrent cilent open!

NOW, if you have a slow connection, yes its generous to upload, but you can set limits on the upload speed! So, set an upload speed limit that wont start killing your internet connection. Seeding is nice, but no one is asking you to blow up your modem!

wow thats a mouthful!