The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Hullabaloo Events > Archives (read-only) > Stay Here Forever
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old June 2nd, 2003, 06:50 PM   #1
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
Your Ultimate Hulla Memory

Seeing as it's a time of reflection on the past 6 years I figured it would be fun to start a thread where everyone can post their one ultimate Hulla memory. I won't stop you from posting more than one, but please keep it to one memory per post so that way the thread will be easy to follow and read. When this thread is done it'll be permanently stored in the archives. Thanks.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 06:56 PM   #2
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
I'll start...

Obviously I have many memories, but one that stands out to me will always be the response I got from the crowd at the first Group Hug party at the beginning of my set. That weekend was one of the darkest days for Hulla and it certainly could have been our last event (the police forced us to cancel our scheduled "Through the looking glass" party in the midst of the anti-rave hysteria gripping Toronto in 2000). The amount of love and support I felt eminating from the crowd will stay with me for the rest of my life. I had a hard time holding back the tears during that entire set and that set forever cemented for me what a special thing Hulla was to all of us and it certainly gave me the strength to want to push on and not be forced out of business by the authorities, rather I'll end it when I'm good and ready. Of course the pinnacle was ending with Heart of Gold and joining everyone on the dancefloor for a big group hug. It chokes me up just thinking about that now. Thank you.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 07:44 PM   #3
objectiview711
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to objectiview711 Send a message via AIM to objectiview711
damn ...thats pretty intense chris....

Mine tho, was my first and only hulla thus far ,Power of Dreams
I requested in a thread a few weeks before the party that somebody play 'Feeling so Real'.......during Frolics set I heard the track start ,and E.N.D. looked at me shouting 'holy shit !!!JIM HES PLAYIN IT!!!!!' I about lost my mind ,and I wont hesitate to admit that the expierience was enhanced by the goodies I had ingested, but then right at the breakdown the flashers blinded me and when my vision returned to me , I found myself in an intense hallucination as Mr. Frolic appeared as a being composed entirely of javascript.
I continued to flip out in joy throughout the rest of the track and the rest of the night went without a hitch as well .
LONG LIVE HULLA
Thanks again Chris
Old June 2nd, 2003, 09:21 PM   #4
candypunk
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to candypunk
Im gonna have to go with the WEMF tent in 2002, it was my first "rave" expereince in almost 2 years and my first WEMF , It was so cool to see Frolic purpose to his wife and play "stay with me" right after, it was me girlfriends song at the time, I can still remember looking at her and we both had huge grins on our faces then we danced our asses, I dunno just one of many wicked Hulla memories for me, thanks Chris!

PLUR

-Will
Old June 2nd, 2003, 09:42 PM   #5
enD
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to enD
Probably my favorite hulla memory was standing in the crowd at Ooh Crikey Wot a Scorcher and introducing myself to the guy standing next to me only to have him freestyle his name back to me during a jungle breakdown in frisky's set and giving me a hug afterwards.

Awesomeness like that doesn't really happen at most parties.

GOODFELLAZ says Goodbye on September 13th, 2008!
www.goodfellaz.ca
Old June 2nd, 2003, 11:00 PM   #6
supaster
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to supaster Send a message via AIM to supaster
Seeing Force & Styles at Funtopia 3...and then having them drop Hardcore Fever
It was a great great night all around. Definitely one of the best hulla's.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 12:25 AM   #7
Littleb27333
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to Littleb27333
Well

Have not made it out to a Hulla Party before but we will be making the trip from denver colorado for this years party so i hope to have an Ultimate Hulla Memory for the times to come.....
Old June 3rd, 2003, 09:07 AM   #8
*MoonDancer*

Photos: 12  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to *MoonDancer* Send a message via MSN to *MoonDancer* Send a message via Yahoo to *MoonDancer*
I have to go with Hulla 3 "Love and Magic"
My first Hullabaloo ( first Canadian party)

I say Hulla 3 because it was the start of many wonderful parties for me.

There were so many wonderful people that i met that night. All of them willing to give hugs, candy and welcomness to a newbie.
I can also remember hearing "little fantasy"

Now...this song.. for almost a whole year....i was running from music store to music store trying to find someone that knew what the song that went " its liike extacy..in my fantasy..will this feeling last forever...."
When i heard it... i went mental.

Overall it was a great night.. and the beginnning of the legendary hullabaloo for me
Kris*
Old June 3rd, 2003, 10:51 AM   #9
kandeegirl2
Sweetness and Light Mod

Photos: 29  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 3 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to kandeegirl2 Send a message via AIM to kandeegirl2 Send a message via Yahoo to kandeegirl2
well my first and most special memory of hulla was at Make Believe February 2002. I had been trying to get to a hulla for 2 years but no one wanted to drive that far for a party so i finally get to go and it was the best time ever. i never experienced such a positive vibe and such a friendly atmosphere. i hadnt ever heard hhc spun at a party cept maybe once and i didn't really know that the party was mostly hhc......i will never forget when make believe was dropped i remember feeling *im gettin all choked up right now* the most uplifted feeling i ever felt in my life......the music and the words were connecting with teh people and the vibe and to this day whenever i hear that track i cry.........the reason it is the most memorable is because without that wicked amazing time i would not have had the pleasure of knowing what Hullabaloo is all about and never have been able to spread that love to other people that i've brought up there with me. thanks a mil.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 02:29 PM   #10
Surreal
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Surreal Send a message via AIM to Surreal Send a message via Yahoo to Surreal
My first Hulla was Rush Hour... I was weary of all the hype and rumours surrounding raves...... so I just took it all in and I remember hearing Anti-Social's "My Way" being dropped by Vinylgroover and I went nuts, it was so weird hearing Hardcore being played anywhere let alone in a club nera my hometown... then later on in the night I was in the 2nd room (this was at Newz) and I remember hearing OS/2 play "Lift Off" by the Olmec Heads and to this day those songs still make me go mental.

The vibe was so happy and full of life...it was great!!

Steve

Last edited by Surreal : June 3rd, 2003 at 02:33 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 02:45 PM   #11
kreggz
Hullaboarder

I still remember like yesterday, it was Hulla One (my only hulla) E!Space, it was the first time we had been able to hang out outside at thE SpacE, and I remember sittin against the wall, trippin on this sihouette of an image all nite (ok for a few hours), than laffin my ass off in the morning because it was only a blank round white sign posted beside the train traxx. I stared at that sign for hours, I met sooooo many people who also sat with me, smoke cig's and stared @ that sign, discussin all the wondrous things it could be. I met soooo many people that nite that I had partied beside all year but never met, it took hulla one, some magic fungus, and a silly white sign to bring us all together.
Peace
Old June 3rd, 2003, 05:45 PM   #12
itsgigglegirl
Friendship Crew

Photos: 3  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to itsgigglegirl
Before my first hulla, I had never been to a party before, but had heard great (and not-so-great) things about them. I've always been the "just wanna have fun" type, and didn't really care what people thought of the fact that I was a 20 year old who's favorite pasttime was coloring or watching cartoons or doing things that are meant for four year olds to enjoy. I'm a huge fan of hugs and snuggles and just chatting with people, no matter who they are...And people have always kinda of given me a hard time about the fact that "i try to make friends wherever I go..."

Going to my first hulla made me realize that there's a great big huge group of people who are just like me: that want to be friendly to everyone, and want to relive their childhood over and over and over again. I never knew that this wonderful subculture existed in the midst of the bad rap that raves get.

So my ultimate hulla memory was definitely walking into Power of Dreams, and being assaulted by a mass of people screaming "HAPPY FIRST HULLA" and giving me hugs. I had never felt more loved in my life than at that moment.

You can't miss me, I'm the girl with the smile

Shake like an earthquake, and cut like a guillotine
Old June 3rd, 2003, 05:56 PM   #13
*MoonDancer*

Photos: 12  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to *MoonDancer* Send a message via MSN to *MoonDancer* Send a message via Yahoo to *MoonDancer*
ANother favourite was Hulla 4 "into the blue" at the warehouse.
I was with my friend Tonia ....and her brother was making blow up ballloon animals all night and we kept passing them out to people ( i had also made 80 some braceletts and handed them out as well)
I met so many wicked people and got massive hugs all night long..it was gggggreat!
Kris*
Old June 4th, 2003, 02:11 AM   #14
okidam
Hullaboarder

Photos: 14  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to okidam Send a message via Yahoo to okidam
hey object... wasnt 'get hype' your first hulla, not power of dreams? hahahahahahahahahahaha... and ya saw 10 dougal's running around during his set? ^_~

when i was at get hype (me first ever hulla), i was out in the very front, and i believe dougal was playing... actually, im not really sure, i wasnt keeping track of who was playing, but im pretty sure it was before 1am... anyway, whomever dropped You're Shinning... and id heard it on chapter 7 before, but never payed much attention. after the first breakdown, when the girl is just singing, and that first synth comes in, i was blasted away by just how pretty it was in conjunction with the lights, and the raw energy i felt from every person near me just amazed as well. i put my hand up in the air, and felt the lights above my head as they spread out horizontally into the crowd, and for a split second, it was like everything came together as one moment and feeling... it was nuts, and that song has been forever burned in to my brain for whenever i think about the best part of a party ive been to, haha. i also cant believe how many people i met in such a short time, and i dont remember most of ya... grrrrr! oh well, ill be at more hullas, more meeting!

the uuk is dead... but long live the UUK Djs!
~Okidam~
~Snoop e~ (now aka skitch)
~Captain Cheddar~
Old June 4th, 2003, 02:38 AM   #15
Seizure
Hullaboarder

Photos: 32  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 12 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Seizure Send a message via MSN to Seizure Send a message via Yahoo to Seizure
I don't really have a 'single memory' that stands out from any Hulla party... the only thing I can think of would be... being at my first rave, which happened to be hulla, being under the influence of non-alcoholic things... being separated from my crew and spending 2 hours circling the underground parking lot several times before finally bumping into someone i recognized :P
Old June 4th, 2003, 02:39 AM   #16
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

Photos: 24  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to CareSieB Send a message via AIM to CareSieB Send a message via MSN to CareSieB Send a message via Yahoo to CareSieB
^^^^ i was gunna say the same thing, when whoever dropped youre shining, it was just amazing. undescribable
Old June 4th, 2003, 04:42 AM   #17
DynamicHalfDuo
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to DynamicHalfDuo Send a message via AIM to DynamicHalfDuo
I had convinced a friend of mine to drive up to Toronto to go to a rave for the first time... I'd never been to Toronto or any kind of rave or anything of the sort... I'd been listening to Happy Hardcore for about three years after getting turned on to it by a buddy at work, and just arbitrarily decided to hunt for a rave. I found hullabaloo because I had Chapter's 3 and 4. My memory is being on the dance floor at "Digital Outlaws"... watching all these people around me dancing, smiling, hugging, wondering what was going on. It was Frolic's set, and I was so excited because I didn't recognize any of the other DJ's or any songs, really. And I was just kind of chilling when all of a sudden the first notes of "See Me Climb" rang out... and all of a sudden the vibe, as hundreds of people around me reacted the same way, washed over me... and I just felt this uncontrollable urge to grab someone and hug them - but before I could, this kid next to me grabbed me and hugged me and said "Happy Hullabaloo". All of a sudden it was so clear to me - "Happy Hullabaloo" expressed everything I wanted to say, right from my soul, right then at that moment. And that's when I knew I would never go back to just existing, day to day. From that moment on, I was a raver.

And that's my ultimate Hulla memory. They are all pretty awesome, but that one stands out.
Old June 4th, 2003, 10:17 AM   #18
~ Little One ~
Hullanewbie

I haven't been to many Hulla's, but my favorite memory from one would have to be at my first one, Make Believe. I had gone with my boyfriend and his friend, who have been parting for years and had been trying to get me to go to one since I had first met them. I finally gave in and they took me to a Hulla. Walking in there I was greeted with something so alien to me. I had never seen so many happy people together, just chillin and dancing. My favorite memory from that night was during Anabolic Frolic's set. I was sitting up on the belcony with my boyfriend with our legs hanging over the edge (my favorite thing to do at a Hulla). We were just watching the crowd dance and the lights were amazing! I took off my glasses so the lights became like little diamonds and it looked as though the crowd was moving as one. The feeling of love and contentment I felt at that moment was unbelieveable. It is this feeling that keeps me coming back to Hulla's.
Old June 4th, 2003, 02:12 PM   #19
monstercan-D
Hullaboarder

At one pooint in the main room at Space Invader, two cute girls in wigs approached me and asked for me to pick them up. I hoisted one in each arm and posed for a photo with them. I felt like Hercules, but they probably weighed about 80lbs. each.

That, and later on in the same night, I flung candy bracelets at SOS and Subsonic Chronic. I think it annoyed them.
Old June 4th, 2003, 04:35 PM   #20
Race 2 Da Beat
Hullaboarder

Photos: 3  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Race 2 Da Beat
Quote:
HOLY SHITE!!!
Frolic: That is probably the best hulla I have ever been to, the vibe there was so strong ... keep up the great work

I brought 2 newbies with me and they said they had the best time of their lives and had no idea raves could be so much fun. They will be back for July 5.

Congradulations to MC JUMPER he's gunna be a daddy on October 18th (approx) That is sooooo awesome!

Taken from Get Hype... The thing that made it so good, was when Jumper announced that he was gunna be a daddy, it brought tears to my eyes. The vibe was amazing, it was great seeing people I knew, and I dunno, *this is gunna sound real cheezy* but I just felt so good about myself and I was in heaven.

Thats what I like about Hullas, no other party can make me feel like a hulla can.

Thank you so much for everything Chris!

Kelly
Old June 8th, 2003, 06:19 PM   #21
lil star
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to lil star
OMG I have soooo many, so so many.....I guess I'll start from the beginning.....my first rave ever was Big Top...I got tricked into going too! but it was incredible...every single moment was just so cool. I couldn't dance to save my life, and I had so many people come up to me and offer to show me ways to dance. When I got tired I went to chill out and had so many people come and check on me, I couldn't believe how nice everyone was. And the bouncey castles.....they were something else all together!
I haven't missed a Hulla since!
Old June 8th, 2003, 10:47 PM   #22
RoB-B
Hullaboarder

Photos: 2  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to RoB-B
mine was seeing these 2 girls make out the whole night just because they knew i liked it
Old June 8th, 2003, 11:50 PM   #23
Camrose
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to Camrose
My ultimate memory of hulla was at the hulla i-Dance pre-party, my first hulla. Mrs. Frolic gave me a copy of DJ Spock's at Big Top. She said thanks for dressing up! I had no idea it was her at first until later when someone came up and told me. THANK YOU for an amazing memory Robin I will always have an incredible time at Hullabaloo!

Thats me on the right at the i-Dance pre-party.

Amy
Old June 9th, 2003, 10:36 AM   #24
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder
Snake Champion! High Score: 2183  Duck Hunt Champion! High Score: 89000 

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Tranzit Send a message via MSN to DJ Tranzit Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Tranzit
as shitty as the night actually turned out to be, "rythem of life" was one of my better memories.

seeing kevin energy was just amazing. definately one of my favorite sets of all time, and it's what got me into nu energy without a doubt.

All of the other sets that night were also just amazing. force and styles rocked the place too. Everything just seemed to fall into place that night for me.

i had some energy to me that night that had nothing to do with drugs, alcohol or any type of sugar.. i was just drinking my usual bottles of water, but something gave me a lot of energy that night.

i was with an old friend named Ashley that night, and we had a lot of fun at the party.

As for after the party... we left, and I took a cab back to union station. Seeing as my friend lived downtown, i was at union alone, and i met a few people waiting for the station to open up in the mourning (seeing as we got there around 6:30 or 7:30am i think).. That's when i met my girlfriend of 2.5 years with 2 of her friends..

kinda puts a funny spin on things when people ask "how'd you two meet"

** New - Dj Tranzit - This Is Why I'm Hot - 60 min hardcore fuckery ***
Old June 10th, 2003, 01:25 PM   #25
Q-Pid
Hullaboarder

The first Hulla party at the News was a seriously life-changing point in my life. For the first time ever I experienced a natural high, completely unassisted by any drugs at all, based entirely on the wild energy and monumental bliss consuming me. Other parties since then have come close in bringing back that natural high, but it's never been quite like that.
Thanx Hullafreaks for the happiest moments I ever have or ever will experience.