The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Hullabaloo Events > Archives (read-only) > All Good Things - The last ever Hullabaloo
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old March 11th, 2005, 02:07 AM   #1
plurr420
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to plurr420 Send a message via Yahoo to plurr420
Question Enetering Canada

ok i was just wondering if anyone knew what i would need to cross the border?? i am comming from Wisko!
Well someone told me that i could just use my id w/birth certificate and then someone else said that they are making a new law where you must have a passport to enter!...so if anybody has any info that would be great!!
Old March 11th, 2005, 02:32 AM   #2
polyWog
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to polyWog Send a message via AIM to polyWog Send a message via Yahoo to polyWog
passport is always best but a birth certificate & gov't issued photo ID will getcha right through
Old March 11th, 2005, 02:52 AM   #3
plurr420
Hullaboarder

Smile

awesome!! omg i luv u!! thankies for the info!!!
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:47 AM   #4
Saffron
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to Saffron Send a message via Yahoo to Saffron
I'd take your passport. The problems you will run into will not likely be from Canadian customs officials, but American ones. Soooo anal. My mom was fingerprinted and questioned for 2 hours going to Cleaveland to the Rock n Roll hall of fame because she was born in Pakistan. Hopefully you aren't of middle eastern decent or prepare for a full cavity search on your way back.

ALSO: if you are taking Greyhound on an intl' bus trip they require you to have a passport or else they won't let you board the bus because if you are turned away at the border they have to abandon you there.
- Thom Yorke
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:57 AM   #5
itsgigglegirl
Friendship Crew

Photos: 3  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to itsgigglegirl
and don't look like a raver when you're crossing the border...wear normal clothes, no kandi/beads, and be as polite as possible...speaking in unison often helps we've found

You can't miss me, I'm the girl with the smile

Shake like an earthquake, and cut like a guillotine
Old March 11th, 2005, 09:34 AM   #6
brandymandycandy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 11  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brandymandycandy Send a message via Yahoo to brandymandycandy
^^^ So right!

I've never had any problems crossing the boarder with just my ID. But some of my friends everytime they cross get a full cavity search.
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:04 AM   #7
kandeegirl2
Sweetness and Light Mod

Photos: 29  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 3 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to kandeegirl2 Send a message via AIM to kandeegirl2 Send a message via Yahoo to kandeegirl2
the last time i crossed they said a birth certificate (CAnaDIan guard) and photo id is required OR a passport. i had always just used my drivers liscense. AND
a US citizen going back into the US only needs a Drivers LIscense.
never had issues with that. other issues but never what Identification to have goin back into the states.
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:21 AM   #8
peachfuzz
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to peachfuzz Send a message via Yahoo to peachfuzz
i've only had a problem once with canadian customs... and once with US customs also.. all they normally ask me for is my drivers license, but i keep my birth certificate with me just in case..
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:46 AM   #9
Busta
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Busta Send a message via AIM to Busta
Bring lots of drugs, weapons, and cash with you. You'll get right thru.

But more seriously... There is a good thread on comming up form the states in the archives: http://www.hulla.info/board/showthread.php?t=17917
Old March 11th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #10
CareSieB
Hullaboarder

Photos: 24  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to CareSieB Send a message via AIM to CareSieB Send a message via MSN to CareSieB Send a message via Yahoo to CareSieB
we took greyhound and one person with us only had their govt id and they STILL got in...but you are legally supposed to have an ID and a birth certificate a passport isnt necessary...and who are you wisko kid..we come from minnesota
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #11
DJ Saiyan
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 2 View Users Journal
Send a message via MSN to DJ Saiyan
All you need is photo i.d. Your birth certificate helps too but it isnt essential to crossing.

You wont catch much of a hassle from the Canadian guards unless you're very stupid about how you try and cross. Do NOT tell them you're going to a party. Tell them you're going to Toronto on vacation. Pack a week's worth of clothes, and tell them you're staying through til next week. This info will not be passed along to the American guards for when you come back so they can't call you on it. I only say to say that because it would look kinda funny if you're driving up from Wisconsin and you say you're only staying in Toronto for one night.

Do NOT bring any kind of candy, flyers, or anything like that. You can buy beads and string here in Toronto and make all the candy you need up here. If they find any of this in your car they can and will tear your car apart, then deny you entry. Might even leave your car in pieces in the garage and tell you you have five minutes to put it back together and get out. It has happened before.

Make sure your music is off when you're entering the border area.

And I can't stress this enough.

DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT have ANY DRUGS OF ANY KIND IN THE CAR. This is a one way ticket to jail if you get caught. They have all kinds of fancy electronic sniffing gear at the border, as well as drug dogs. There is an extremely good chance you will be caught, thrown in jail, and banned from ever entering Canada again. And that just wouldnt be very fun would it.

I hope I didn't scare you too much, but crossing the border's a serious thing, not to be taken lightly.

If you pull up blasting Chapter 3, decked out in all the colours of the rainbow, have a ton of drugs in the car, and your car reeks of weed or something, you can, and more than likely will get in very big trouble.
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #12
meisemily
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Saiyan
If you pull up blasting Chapter 3, decked out in all the colours of the rainbow, have a ton of drugs in the car, and your car reeks of weed or something, you can, and more than likely will get in very big trouble.

don't look like a hippie or anything either. [ravers arent the only ones that the border people hate]

the government hates pot smoking hippies. they planted a bag of seeds on my friends once and denied them entry.

who carries bags of seeds with them anyways?
and i guess the even bigger question is why would they be bringing a bag of seeds INTO canada?
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #13
peachfuzz
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to peachfuzz Send a message via Yahoo to peachfuzz
for the fertile soil? *shrugs*
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:20 PM   #14
meisemily
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
my point is it'd be a more likely story for someone to bring a bag of seeds OUT of canada.
Old March 11th, 2005, 04:38 PM   #15
RaechelandRob
Hullaboarder

I went to a Timewarp party back in august of 99 in Toronto. We tried to dress all preppy when we crossed the border but my pothead friend "forgot" he had an ounce on him.. we where already in line so we ATE it.. between 4 people. My friend Ilya forgot to tell me that he didn't have a greencard and he was born in Russia. They searched our car and found one seed and gave us a huge lecture and turned us around. I vividly remember the driver of the car crying because he wanted to see Shy FX so bad, so we turned around and went thru the Niagara Falls exit ( I don't reccomend doing this you can get in serious trouble.) Somehow we got thru but ever since I get stopped and I have to go thru immigration for like 2 hours because I tried to smuggle a Russian into Canada. What I can't believe however is how easily we got back into the United States but this was pre 9/11 it's totally sketchy now.
Old March 11th, 2005, 08:43 PM   #16
AaronCore
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to AaronCore
It breaks my heart to hear about all of this. Shouldn't we, as humans, be allowed to travel anywhere on this planet without being hassled so long as we're not harming anyone or anything?
Old March 11th, 2005, 09:05 PM   #17
polyWog
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to polyWog Send a message via AIM to polyWog Send a message via Yahoo to polyWog
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronCore
It breaks my heart to hear about all of this. Shouldn't we, as humans, be allowed to travel anywhere on this planet without being hassled so long as we're not harming anyone or anything?

They're trying to make sure that we're not going to harm anyone or anything

Oh and remember - YOU CAN NOT ENTER CANADA IF YOU HAVE A VIOLATION ON YOUR PERM. RECORD. This includes DUIs, weapon charges, etc
Old March 11th, 2005, 09:25 PM   #18
drchwi
Hullaboarder

Send a message via MSN to drchwi Send a message via Yahoo to drchwi
where can i find info on charges that would keep you out???
chwi
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:31 PM   #19
Andjo
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Andjo Send a message via MSN to Andjo Send a message via Yahoo to Andjo
The only thing that i can stress is be calm, extra polite and dont hesitate on your answers. you can pack kandi but bury it in the bottom of your luggage. but you should have no problem with them. And if your crossing through detroit/windsor try to cross early in the day cuz we get alot of kids crossing over for the bars at night and the customs agents tend to be dicks. If you need anymore info, email me at importantprsn@yahoo.ca
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:33 PM   #20
rvahhcfool
Hullaboarder

Photos: 1  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to rvahhcfool
when i went to hulla in 2003...me and my friends left hulla and direcltly drove to the border. it was probably a bad idea but we were all in our ufos stinking it up after dancing all night. we had no problems. and when we went in to canada we told them we were going for the weekend and we're from virginia. we had no problems at all. we all had our govt. issued ids and birth certificates.
Old March 13th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #21
heidibear
Hullaboarder

Photos: 11  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 2 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to heidibear Send a message via Yahoo to heidibear
i've heard so many different stories about people getting searched and turned away. when we went we had kandi and beads and all of our raver crap in with our clothes and stuff. we got searched once, but they just looked through most of our bags and then told us to go on our way. it all depends i guess. you just have to be polite respectful and look and act as least suspicious as possible and you shouldn't have a problem.
Old March 14th, 2005, 03:40 AM   #22
plurr420
Hullaboarder

Smile

wow!! thank you sooo much to everyone from the info!! i really needed that!! i didnt wanna spend like 100 bucks on a passport i am goin to use for about like the whole two seconds they look at it!!! i really do appreciate this ALOT!!!! THANKIES!!!!!!!
Old March 14th, 2005, 06:59 AM   #23
polyWog
Hullaboarder

BORDER CROSSING INFORMATION

1-800-715-6722

Old March 14th, 2005, 10:32 AM   #24
Busta
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Busta Send a message via AIM to Busta
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvahhcfool
when i went to hulla in 2003...me and my friends left hulla and direcltly drove to the border. it was probably a bad idea but we were all in our ufos stinking it up after dancing all night. we had no problems. and when we went in to canada we told them we were going for the weekend and we're from virginia. we had no problems at all. we all had our govt. issued ids and birth certificates.

Yeah, it always seems to be easier to get back in. They can still harass you if they think you might be doing something wrong, but they aren't going to tell you that you can't come back into the US just becuse they don't like the way you look.
Old March 14th, 2005, 12:04 PM   #25
kikster
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to kikster Send a message via MSN to kikster
i've gone to canada, hmm, something like *counts* 6 times in the past 4 months. twice by plane, once on the greyhound, and three times driving. i've had my stuff searched at the airport and when going by greyhound (they search everyone's stuff when you go on the bus), they have looked through bags of beads and bracelets and glowsticks and all that, and still let me through no problem. i've never had more than the most basic of questions when driving though.

the real trick is to not look suspicious. dress as normally as possible. be polite, even friendly. have a basic story together - if you're going to visit friends, make sure you can name them, and say how you know those friends. otherwise, like saiyan said, say you're going on vacation for a week. go across at a big border crossing (detroit/windsor), during the day, when there are lots of people - don't go to a smaller place or when it is not busy because they have more time to be bored and decide to be jerks.

the way you will get to have issues is if you cross with someone they don't like. someone they suspect of doing illegal things, or as mentioned before, someone without a green card or something. then your name gets flagged and you will get a lot more questioning and suspicion every time you cross.