The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Hullabaloo Events > Archives (read-only) > Hullabaloo 10th Anniversary Weekend Celebration
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old July 15th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #1
Robin Frolic
Hullabaloo's Mama

Maybe we'll shine forever

Those of you who saw the documentary will probably remember me saying that the real magic of Hulla isn't in us, it's in our ravers. Without the ravers, we would be playing to an empty room; it's the ravers who bring their expectations and their energy and their magic to create the Hulla vibe.

At the beginning, when tickets sold way faster than we ever thought they might, my concerns that this might be a lackluster party were assuaged; I knew that the people at the event would be people who really wanted to be there. But I had no idea that this party would be beyond even my expectations of the "average Hulla" - this event would turn out to be something new and off-the-charts.

Being there with you all last night was a profoundly different experience than AGT; it lacked the bittersweetness of AGT, and last night there was solely a sense of joy and excitement. People who I met in my very first year of Toronto raving (1998) came out for OMGH, and my two best friends from California came up for the event, and the ravers were so excited and thrilled to be there.

From the moment I started organizing the Friendship Crew pre-event until the last raver had left the Opera House at the end of the night, I was constantly surrounded by that joy and excitement. Everybody was so ready to share themselves and create the Hulla magic, and it seemed like everybody pulled out all the stops to make this an amazing night. From the costumes, to the gifts people brought for each other, to the amazing generosity people showed when donating for Gavin's bracelets, to the stories we heard of how far people had come and the trials they had to undergo to reach the event - it was clear that everyone was dedicated to making this the most incredible night possible.

I stood onstage during Chris' (my Chris Frolic, not Chris Frisky) set and watched him spin, and realized I haven't seen him that happy in a long time. He loves hypnosis and he grooves on being a hypnotist, but being Anabolic Frolic was so much of his life for so long, and I don't think either one of us realized how much we'd missed that energy and connection with the ravers. It just felt so good to be there again, feeling that and sharing it with our Hulla family.

At the end of his set, I was overwhelmed by the joy of the moment, and when Chris asked if I'd like to say a few words, I spontaneously said yes. As soon as I took the microphone I realized, "Oh crap, they're going to think I'm knocked up," so I started by saying, "I'm NOT pregnant." After the laughter died down I said, "But Chris has been asking about a second child for awhile now, and I just wanted to say, I'm ready when he is." Some of you who know me will know that I've been very ambivalent about having a second child due to the stress involved in pregnancy and raising a baby, so just saying that I may be ready for a second child was actually a big step for me.

Those of you who were there know that after D-Minus (the last DJ of the night) finished his last song, Frolic took the stage again and said that he was going to put on a special CD he'd premixed that morning and then do something that, in ten years of Hulla, he's never done; he was going to go rave with everyone else. So the CD started playing and Chris went into the crowd and people just went apeshit. So many of our ravers have this intense connection to Frolic, so to have him there, among the ravers, dancing and throwing his hands in the air and singing along to the songs with them, it just made the place go mental. The energy in there was like nothing I'd ever felt. Our song - "Heart of Gold" - came on and I put my arms around Chris from behind and he reached up to hold my hands against him and we sang the lyrics with everyone else, dancing together; it was the last track of the night and when it stopped playing, the massive group hugs began. Probably five or six hundred people still on the dance floor and everyone hugging in massive hugs with Chris and I at the epicenter. There were a lot of people crying with joy and it was just overwhelming and beautiful and incredibly intense.

When Chris went into the crowd, it changed things. It made us (I mean all of us, Chris and I and all of the ravers) so much more cohesive. Chris and I shared in the raver vibe in a way that we never had before, and it was beautiful. We were all together. And the moments after Chris went into the crowd and before I did, when I was just standing onstage watching him with our ravers, changed things for me too; I saw how happy he was, how he seemed more himself, and I thought, "How can I say no to the chance to see him like this again?"

As Chris said in his speech, "never say never". At this moment, the work I put into this seems remote and unimportant because all I can see in my head is the expression on Chris' face when he was DJing and when he was surrounded by his Hulla family. And it's easy to tell myself that next time around it wouldn't be quite as difficult, because this one taught us a lot of lessons that would make it easier if there was a next time.

We have no plans, right now, for another Hulla. But as Chris put it, never say never.
Robin Frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #2
Robin Frolic
Hullabaloo's Mama

I also wanted to add that I met so many incredible, genuine, wonderful people last night, and you all have a special place in my heart. I feel privileged for having met you all.

And I wanted to extend my special thanks to Flash and the Kentucky/Ohio/Indiana crew, who made me the stunning bead outfit and put so much energy and love into their costumes and the vibe they brought with them. You're good people.
Old July 15th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #3
ctraverboy
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to ctraverboy Send a message via Yahoo to ctraverboy
Thank you though... it may be the ravers that come out that bring all that energy and love and all that... But if we didn't have hardworking promoters and DJs and MCs and everyone else involved with running the events, we wouldn't have anything to do with all that energy. You guys do an incredible job, THANK YOU.
ctraverboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #4
Baron420
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Baron420 Send a message via AIM to Baron420 Send a message via Yahoo to Baron420
Yes, thank you. Its all of us who enjoy all the work that you guys put into these parties. I've been coming up from Rhode Island, Cleveland and North Carolina for all these years now, and its always been worth it. Thank you guys so much!

PS: Maybe we'll shine forever is my ring tone! :-P
Old July 16th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #5
pyrotix
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to pyrotix Send a message via MSN to pyrotix
Okay, I think I might have gotten my hopes up and read a lot of meaning into the night's various "announcements" that simply wasn't there.

So here are the facts:
Quote:
About future Hullas: Frolic has said not to rule out the possibility of another one, Robin is starting to have a change of heart (because being Anabolic Frolic makes Chris really happy, and she likes to see Chris happy), and Pete Gobstoppa suggested on stage that Hulla be held once a year, to uproarious applause and whistles. It seems that at least some of the DJ's and MC's agree, if not all of them.

We are all hoping that Pete's suggestion comes to fruition... pray for an 11th Year Anniversary!
pyrotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #6
dj timz0r
Hulla Legacy Member

Send a message via AIM to dj timz0r
we can only hope for a future hulla...
dj timz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 02:52 AM   #7
DJLeash
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to DJLeash
sounds amazing. I am truly sorry I wasn't there.
or
www.myspace.com/djleash
DJLeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #8
kandeegirl2
Sweetness and Light Mod

Photos: 29  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 3 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to kandeegirl2 Send a message via AIM to kandeegirl2 Send a message via Yahoo to kandeegirl2
thanks for the awesome recap robin. thats what i was sad i missed. now im crying. i wish i coulda been there.
Old July 16th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #9
ijumpfromcars
Hulla Legacy Member

made me cry at work
glad i have high cubicle walls
Old July 16th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #10
kismit9
Hullanewbie

Send a message via AIM to kismit9
more please more...
kismit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #11
Tranceported
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Tranceported Send a message via MSN to Tranceported
That was definetly a good night for the time i spent at the party.

I honestly havent been to a party in 3 years and it really made me feel good to see all the people just out there sharing the good times and enjoying the tracks being layed down.

I will definetly remember the good tiems.

MSN: tranceposed@hotmail.com
Tranceported is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #12
lil
Friendship Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Frolic

And I wanted to extend my special thanks to Flash and the Kentucky/Ohio/Indiana crew, who made me the stunning bead outfit and put so much energy and love into their costumes and the vibe they brought with them. You're good people.

I think I speak for all the sloppy magik crayons when I say THANK YOU! We all had a blast and would love to do it again. I have to say it was by far the friendliest party I've ever had the pleasure of helping with.
lil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #13
[SQUARE]
Hullaboarder

I had not been to a hulla in probably 6 years or so. I'm so glad I actually made it to this one. I had an amazing time and ran into some friends I hadn't seen since about that time as well. Yay hulla!
[SQUARE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #14
Stunt_Girl
Friendship Crew

Send a message via AIM to Stunt_Girl
Okay so I was really proud of myself for not crying at all on Saturday! but now.. reading what you wrote Robin... yeah *sigh* the tears are flowing.

I still can't beleive that I got to be part of this amazing night!! Anthony and I were excited beyond explaination that we got to be part of the friendship crew. You and Chris are seriously two of the most amazing people I've ever had the honor of knowing.

ahhh!!! and the fact that I got to be right there in the middle of the group hug with you guys was so amazing!!

oh and btw.. I hope you liked the kandi I made Gavin!! He was asleep when I put it on him, but he's just so precious!! I'm so glad you guys raised so much money with his kandi!!

<333
To be with you
by your side
<3333
Stunt_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #15
EvoldicA
Friendship Crew

Send a message via AIM to EvoldicA
I can't even begin to put into words how my first Hulla experience was... I've on Hullaboard for quite a while, and most of the time was spent living through the experiences of others. Thank you Hulla ravers.. for being part of an environment that could not have existed without each and every one of you. Robin + Chris... Thank you for all the time and hard work you've put into making this event spectacular!! I've enjoyed working on the friendship crew, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
EvoldicA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #16
kylefabulous
Queen Bitch Mod

Send a message via ICQ to kylefabulous Send a message via AIM to kylefabulous Send a message via Yahoo to kylefabulous
i definitely will write a review ... maybe soon, maybe later..

i'm just getting home.. and i'm tired!

but as for shining forever, this party will forever be in my heart...

it was different than AGT's, b/c there was no bittersweet! it was just fuckin' sweet!
kylefabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #17
theFlash6342
Friendship Crew

Send a message via AIM to theFlash6342 Send a message via Yahoo to theFlash6342
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Frolic
I also wanted to add that I met so many incredible, genuine, wonderful people last night, and you all have a special place in my heart. I feel privileged for having met you all.

I just want to say Robin that meeting you and getting as close to you in one night as we did made my hulla beyond words. I have to give Props to Magik Bob (buddy blue) for the shirt, Cheeks (shy violet) for the skirt, and myself i guess for the belt. We were just so happy that it fit and you looked so beautiful in it.

It was so fun walking around and just enjoying the looks people gave yours and our outfits that it made all the hard work and hours worth it!

and another thank you for allowing us to come to your home, it made us feel like extended family. Oh and your friend derek was a cool ass dude and we do hope to see you again very soon Mr. and Mrs. Frolic and good luck with the baby concieving, work hard at it wink wink!

once again from our family/crew to yours it was our honor! thank you and happy hulla!
Old July 17th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #18
Mr Skittles
Friendship Crew

Photos: 7  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Mr Skittles Send a message via MSN to Mr Skittles Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Skittles
I will write a review sometime this week. I'm super exhausted at the moment, and my son is doing everything but letting me relax

Lucky Star Travel

"A movin groove with a massive plan"

TOP FLIGHT MUTHA-F*CKIN SECURITY
Mr Skittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #19
dianejapa
Friendship Crew

Photos: 12  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to dianejapa Send a message via AIM to dianejapa
same here. i haven't sufficiently recovered yet. i don'r want to take this lightly. i need to give this proper consideration. i will say tho that i was blown away. hulla has always been amazing to me, but like you said robin. this party went above and beyond. it was everything i could have hoped for and more. thank you to everyone!
dianejapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #20
Robin Frolic
Hullabaloo's Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by theFlash6342
we do hope to see you again very soon Mr. and Mrs. Frolic and good luck with the baby concieving, work hard at it wink wink!

As Frolic said, he and I spent most of Sunday lying on the bed together and staring into each other's eyes. But falling in love again wasn't what we were doing all the time.
Old July 18th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #21
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder
Snake Champion! High Score: 2183  Duck Hunt Champion! High Score: 89000 

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Tranzit Send a message via MSN to DJ Tranzit Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Tranzit
of course not.
you were clearly enjoying board games.

FOR TWO!

** New - Dj Tranzit - This Is Why I'm Hot - 60 min hardcore fuckery ***
DJ Tranzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #22
Robin Frolic
Hullabaloo's Mama

Yeah, it's pretty wonderful how long and enjoyable all those games of Battleship are.
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:27 AM   #23
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder
Snake Champion! High Score: 2183  Duck Hunt Champion! High Score: 89000 

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Tranzit Send a message via MSN to DJ Tranzit Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Tranzit
don't forget one of my alltime favorites!!!

DJ Tranzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #24
Robin Frolic
Hullabaloo's Mama

OMG MOUSE TRAP I LOVED THAT GAME WHEN I WAS A KID!!!

Not that I ever actually played the game itself; I just loved setting up the whole contraption and then making the cage rattle down.
Old July 18th, 2007, 04:23 AM   #25
No Typical Raver
Friendship Crew

Photos: 24  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 1 View Users Journal
Send a message via AIM to No Typical Raver Send a message via Yahoo to No Typical Raver
dude you know they were all about

This guy will be the entire reason I stop lurking here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim
i cant even imagine what goes on inside your head day by day. but whatever it is it must be awesome.
No Typical Raver is offline   Reply With Quote