User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old April 21st, 2003, 08:59 PM   #1
limey
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 7 View Users Journal
my complaint re: the bar

Okay, I dont tip when i barely have enough money to buy a drink in the first place. Im sorry but im cheap that way. When I start working for the summer i'll be a little more generous but im not in that position yet so too fucking bad.

I bought a beer for $4.50 and paid with a 5. I got my drink but no change. I stood there politely waiting for it while i watched the one chick serve other ppl. Finally after a few minutes I ask her for my change and she gives me a dirty look then throws 2 quaters at me. Yeah, I know its just 50c but that change could go towards another drink since im poor. Thats not even the big deal. Near the end of the serving hours I went up for a beer and before I get the chance to ask for it, the same girl working at the bar says to me "Ya know we're only getting a flat rate of $20 tonight so we're just making money off of tips." I cant really emphasize the bitchiness of her tone but it was pretty bad. I said fine, and I didnt buy a drink out of pure spite.

Rob ended up getting me a drink and I payed him becuase I didnt want to deal with her, but still.. where the hell does she get off demanding a tip like that? If all shes getting is $20 for working a RAVE then she should get another job and stop harassing her customers.
Old April 21st, 2003, 09:02 PM   #2
Seizure
Hullaboarder

Photos: 32  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 12 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to Seizure Send a message via MSN to Seizure Send a message via Yahoo to Seizure
I'm rather cheap myself... but I still found enough money lying around in my pockets to help people get home... and then help out a few streetkids on my way home... damn you happiness! its all your fault!

P.S. When I went to buy water at the downstairs bar thingy.. I got exact change back... no one asked for a tip or assumed they were getting one...

Last edited by Seizure : April 21st, 2003 at 09:06 PM.
Old April 21st, 2003, 09:04 PM   #3
Mr.T
Hullaboarder

it's all about coins...you pay with exact change and they don't "assume" there's a tip

DownLow 420 (shameless Plug)
Old April 21st, 2003, 09:06 PM   #4
J-Karlos
Hullaboarder

Photos: 18  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 4 View Users Journal
Send a message via ICQ to J-Karlos
if you need the money then you need the money

i never tip any server that doesn't bring back my change even if it was a $1 or less

Psychick | J-Karlos | Termeric | The Cyber Lepers Of The Future
Old April 21st, 2003, 09:09 PM   #5
limey
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally posted by J-Karlos
if you need the money then you need the money

i never tip any server that doesn't bring back my change even if it was a $1 or less
Yeah that was part of my initial outrage. I would of blown it off if it wasnt for her little speech.

Why would you ASSUME youre getting a tip??

Arg.. this pisses me off.

And just for the record, I am aware that this is totally beyond the control of hullabaloo
Old April 21st, 2003, 09:13 PM   #6
Mr.T
Hullaboarder

that's true...I mean it's one thing to pay with a 5 and walk off before you get your change..cause then they know "keep the change" but if you are still standing there, then it
s for a reason
Old April 21st, 2003, 09:33 PM   #7
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder
Snake Champion! High Score: 2183  Duck Hunt Champion! High Score: 89000 

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Tranzit Send a message via MSN to DJ Tranzit Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Tranzit
i don't tip for no reason...
i tip because i am happy with the service i got. if the service is shit, and it's the fault of the person i am "supposed to be" tipping, not something out of their control, then i won't tip. I tip what i feel my service level was.

infact if i feel the service was shit, and they made a point to make it shitty, i will only tip $0.01, and then ask for a complaint form and/or ask to see a manager.

i ordered swiss chalet once, and the guy decided not to give me my change of over $4.00 on a $35.00 order.. I paid with 2 x $20.00 bills.. i never asked for change, although he never offered it.. he gave me my food first, i gave him the money, and he just turned around and left. No "thanks" no "have a good night" no "goodbye", no nothing.. as he was walking away, i say "excuse me... excuse me... EXCUSE ME" and he just keeps walking.. so i called swiss chalet.. explain the situation.. tell them i am pissed about it all, and i refer to this guy as the shit stain on persian carpet, and that i wouldn't expect this level of service from swiss chalet, although i would from pizza pizza or something... so to sum it up, the guy was forced to come back and give me exact change... i took it all, then tipped him a penny and told him to put it towards his gas money he just wasted driving back to see me.

sucker

** New - Dj Tranzit - This Is Why I'm Hot - 60 min hardcore fuckery ***
Old April 21st, 2003, 09:34 PM   #8
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Tranzit Send a message via MSN to DJ Tranzit Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Tranzit
oh.. and just a side note..

you should have said "it's not my fault you are working for a fate rate! That's your problem"

by law (of course they are working under the table), they are required to give them a minimum wage.. if she accepted an under the table job, that's her perogative... too bad she gave up almost all of her workers rights doing that too!
Old April 21st, 2003, 09:38 PM   #9
Troile
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Troile
Reservoir Dogs.

Yes people rely on tips. But if you don't work...then you don't get tips.

Serving people a drink is not work. Trust.
Old April 21st, 2003, 10:01 PM   #10
djcyclone
Hullaboarder

I bought a Rev, it was $7.

The barkeep gives me $3 back and says to me "you know you're supposed to tip me, right?" If I was sober I would have told her to fuck off and walk away, but noooooo, my drunken self gave her my hard-earned loonie.

Fuckin' bartenders.
Old April 21st, 2003, 10:27 PM   #11
okidam
Hullaboarder

Photos: 14  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to okidam Send a message via Yahoo to okidam
are you fokin serious? what bald-faced assmunchers! wow, thats terrible.

the uuk is dead... but long live the UUK Djs!
~Okidam~
~Snoop e~ (now aka skitch)
~Captain Cheddar~
Old April 21st, 2003, 10:47 PM   #12
limey
Hullaboarder

Quote:
Originally posted by djcyclone
I bought a Rev, it was $7.

The barkeep gives me $3 back and says to me "you know you're supposed to tip me, right?" If I was sober I would have told her to fuck off and walk away, but noooooo, my drunken self gave her my hard-earned loonie.

Fuckin' bartenders.

wow thats just terrible.

Im willing to bet it was the same person i had a run in with too.

Here's a tip: Dont ask for tips. (I think i'll say that next time)
Old April 21st, 2003, 10:56 PM   #13
Mr.T
Hullaboarder

I never really like tipping for beer, the reason behind this is, I'm paying for the beer which is already marked up. I am perfectly capable of openinga fridge and grabbing a beer or even pouring it into a cup..the fact that bar tenders only have to do then when it comes to beer isn't really cause for an extra $1

but i mean a mixed drink is an exectp[tion becuase some effort is there

I know bartenders don't make to much but they do make somehting ..but it comes back to the principle behind this thread...when I don't have much money I can't afford to be generous with it
Old April 21st, 2003, 11:44 PM   #14
anabolic frolic
Administrator

Photos: 125  Users Photo Gallery
Journal Entries: 5 View Users Journal
It's kind of like minimum wage for wait staff in restautants is less than normal because it's known they'll get tips. It's not fair, but that's the way it is. I do think most people who work in service would think it's crass to demand tips.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 12:11 AM   #15
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder

yes.. i do know that wait staff do have a different minimum wage, and this is because tips are so called "expected" to be left, although this also goes on the theory that they will be coureous and quick with their service (what is expected of them in their job).
Old April 22nd, 2003, 12:48 AM   #16
mrmagoo
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to mrmagoo
If someone mixes me up a martini or a long island iced tea or something like that I'll give em a dollar tip. If they pop the cap off a beer and hand it to me they aint gettin shit!! If they are nice and friendly I may give them the extra 50 cents though, but only if they are nice.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 12:59 AM   #17
integrrac
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to integrrac Send a message via Yahoo to integrrac
both sides are arguable. one behalf of someone that works for tips. i used to be a valet and avg was 2 bones a car. after being super polite holding the door and in some cases an umbrella or scrapin ice it hurts not to get a little something for my trouble. then again this is ravers who they are expecting to have money to throw around. i worked at a country club i knew the people had the cash to put forth and when they didn't it hurt but when there was a high school social or somthing i knew the kids weren't going to tip. so its like this they should know the ravers aren't going to have tons of cash to give away usually but then again it is what is somewhat expected. expected cause of what was mentioned earlier jobs lke bar tending and waitressin get paid less than minimum by employers because it is expected that they get tips. just fyi (i dunno about canada or anything) at my job tips were recorded and taxed also. so if i made 20 bucks in tips one night they would add that ammount to my taxable wages then take it back off cause i aready got the cash . so there is no excuse for being rude but then again when tips is your job and you realize your not going to make that much money one night i know how it feels.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 02:20 AM   #18
luscious_leah
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to luscious_leah Send a message via MSN to luscious_leah
WTF? Okay that would be just plain rude of the bartender to act like that!
I am a server now and know that the pay for bartending is $5.95/ hr. She was the one who accepted the shift so if she doesn't get tips thats her own fault. That or she could have been polite and worked for her tips not demanding them!
Old April 22nd, 2003, 10:21 AM   #19
Arkane
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Arkane
haha I can't believe they actually said those things...I always tip though...I know they don't make much and they do give me good service.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 10:26 AM   #20
limey
Hullaboarder

opening a beer with a bottle opener and pouring it into a plastic cup is not worth 10%+ mark up.

the woman i had to deal with on saturday just ensured she'd never get a tip from me ever again.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 11:16 AM   #21
DJ Tranzit
Hullaboarder

what did she look like..
was she the one with the red belly top thing on at the top bar?

i know the girl at the bar as you walked through the door upstairs was nice to me... and i tipped her well.. she was VERY quick, always gave me my change and made a point of showing me it was the correct change, asked if there was anything else she could get for me, etc....
Old April 22nd, 2003, 11:45 AM   #22
limey
Hullaboarder

she was a short portly lass with long brown hair

she was bartending in the upper part of the bar
Old April 22nd, 2003, 02:04 PM   #23
djcyclone
Hullaboarder

^^

Ya, I think I had the same bartender as well. She was talking to her friend for a good minute before she even acknowledged my presence.

Whatever though, I'm never drinking at a Hulla ever again.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 03:03 PM   #24
DynamicHalfDuo
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to DynamicHalfDuo Send a message via AIM to DynamicHalfDuo
I generally make it a point to go to the lower bar, mainly because I'm shallow and the lower bar girl has consistently been hot. I do tend to tip, but that's because bringing back a pocket full of loonies and canadian quarters is relatively pointless for me.

In light of the above, however, I wish I hadn't tipped the bartender on the upper deck.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 03:15 PM   #25
Busta
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Busta Send a message via AIM to Busta
I don't know how it is in Canada, but here in the US people who make tips have to pay income taxes based on a percentage of their sales. So if you don't tip them then you are actually costing them money because they are paying taxes on the money you didn't give them.

I think that if you don't have the money to leave a tip then you don't have the money to by the drink, dinner, or whatever... I know that if I was making just a couple dollars an hour and some jack ass was too cheap to leave me a tip then I'd be pissed.