The HullaBoard  

Go Back   The HullaBoard > Hullabaloo Events > Archives (read-only) > All Good Things - The last ever Hullabaloo
User Name
Password
Home Forum Gallery Arcade Journals FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old April 10th, 2005, 06:42 PM   #1
~CrEaMy~
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to ~CrEaMy~ Send a message via MSN to ~CrEaMy~
Information Request...

Originally our group was planning on flying straight into Canada for this party. But as of late I have noticed a tremendous rise in ticket prices. So, I think that I have changed the way we are going to be coming into Toronto. I have decided to fly into Flint, MI, and then drive to Toronto from there.

So, I have a few questions that I need to have answered if at all possible.

#1: How long does it take to get across the border? How late can you pass across the border?

#2: How much is gas prices in Toronto?

#3: I heard recently something about needing a passport to get across the border? Can you still use a birth certificate instead?

If someone could help me out with this information I would really appreciate it.
Old April 10th, 2005, 07:26 PM   #2
itsgigglegirl
Friendship Crew

Photos: 3  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to itsgigglegirl
It depends on the day and time, but it can take anywhere from 45 minutes to hours to cross the border, so plan accordingly...some places let you check wait times, but I'm not sure about where you'd be crossing in Michigan, so you ought to look into it.

I'm not sure, but i believe that gas prices in Toronto are about what they are here, they just seem more expensive cos they're in litres and canadian dollars.

We've never had any trouble crossing the border with just driver's licenses, but bringing an additional form (i.e. passport, birth certificate, etc) isn't a bad idea either.

We've done this tons of times, as have hundreds of other kids, so you just need to be polite and calm and not look super ravey and you'll be fine

You can't miss me, I'm the girl with the smile

Shake like an earthquake, and cut like a guillotine
Old April 10th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #3
kylefabulous
Queen Bitch Mod

Send a message via ICQ to kylefabulous Send a message via AIM to kylefabulous Send a message via Yahoo to kylefabulous
1. if you are crossing the border in detroit, which i recommend, then you can cross at any time.. the borders do not close... also depending on the time of day, and which day you choose to cross will effect your time... The LONGEST i've ever waited was an hour...

2. i have no idea what gas is in Tdot right now, here in detroit area it is about 2.20 to 2.30 a gallon... quite pricey...

3. you will NOT need a passport to cross the border.. you WILL DEFINATELY need birth certificates to cross into canada.. for every passenger in your car. i have been hassled several times for not having one... they don't always ask for it.. but legally they do not have to allow you into the country w/out it... nor does the US have to allow you back in w./out one. this happened to my friend like two hulla's ago... she had to have her parents fax birth records to the embassy... it was a huge hassle...

other than that.. just be legit. the border at Detroit is somewhat lax... no need to stress.. just have yur shit in order.. and be honest... just say you are going to Tdot sightseeing for the weekend... DO NOT MENTION HULLA>. the border patrol knows full well what raves are.. and what hulla is.. keep your rave candy/toys/clothes stored away out of sight... you should have no problems..

see you at hUlla
Old April 10th, 2005, 09:11 PM   #4
bonsweetcandie
Hullaboarder

Journal Entries: 25 View Users Journal
Send a message via MSN to bonsweetcandie
gas is sitting at about 90 cent a litre
Old April 10th, 2005, 09:21 PM   #5
itsgigglegirl
Friendship Crew

and according to google there are 3.7854118 litres in a gallon, so that works out to be roughly $3.40 a gallon...wow...that's not cheap at all...i totally eat my hat on this one
Old April 10th, 2005, 09:23 PM   #6
bonsweetcandie
Hullaboarder

nope... driving sucks here... and now the ttc is going on strike...
Old April 10th, 2005, 09:48 PM   #7
Everybodies_Daddy
Hullaboarder

Photos: 8  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Everybodies_Daddy
$3.40 CAD x .83 exchange = $2.82 US / gallon. Not cheap.

Rent a fuel efficient car!

Probably easier to fly to Buffalo, if you ask me.

MCED

Hot + Dirty
Old April 10th, 2005, 09:51 PM   #8
itsgigglegirl
Friendship Crew

^^^good call

then arrange to take the bus with spacekadette
Old April 11th, 2005, 12:35 AM   #9
bonsweetcandie
Hullaboarder

yup gotta love the buffalo bus...
Old April 11th, 2005, 04:51 PM   #10
xRaVeRx
Hullaboarder

Photos: 7  Users Photo Gallery
Send a message via AIM to xRaVeRx Send a message via MSN to xRaVeRx
i live in oshawa. 1hour [go] train ride and im @ hulla
yay for hullas bein in toronto and me livin close
-----------------------------------------------------------
as for this thread and my opinion/ help
gas is about 85cents a litre

ive never crossed teh border, so, my help here was virtually a big waste of time
...ok,
Old April 11th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #11
bonsweetcandie
Hullaboarder

the border in Mighigan isn't that bad. Tho i've only ever gone with family to mighigan so it's not like it's a car full of sketchy kids...

Just be nice, if you get a girl flirt with her. They have sucky jobs so a little kindness goes along way!
Old April 11th, 2005, 05:50 PM   #12
kylefabulous
Queen Bitch Mod

Send a message via ICQ to kylefabulous Send a message via AIM to kylefabulous Send a message via Yahoo to kylefabulous
the border from detroit to michigan is relatively lax compared to some.. i mean detroit is a slum.. however.. don't take it lightly.. i've seen SO many people get popped at that border.. just follow the rules.. and have yur id's ready.. it's that simple
Old April 11th, 2005, 09:13 PM   #13
DNE Productions
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to DNE Productions
The passport thing hasn't been implemented yet. I can't remember what date it's set to be implemented, so I'm not sure if it'll be in place by Hulla. And it's currently a US policy change, so unless Canadian policy changes to match it, you won't need a passport to enter Canada, but if the policy is in place by then, you will need one to return to the US.
http://www.slushwear.com
SlushWear.com - Your online source for all your ski, snowboard and outdoor sport needs
Old April 12th, 2005, 08:49 AM   #14
kylefabulous
Queen Bitch Mod

im not sure about other US _ Canada borders... but the one here in Detroit at Windsor.. bridge or tunnel.. neither is asking nor planning to ask for a passport anytime soon... i have heard similar talk of the US policy change for passports.. but it will have to allow significant time to change over.. simply due to the cost of passports, and the amount of time it will take all those people to obtain passports... i wouldn't worry about this summer.. maybe next...
Old April 12th, 2005, 09:26 AM   #15
Busta
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to Busta Send a message via AIM to Busta
There was just news about the US requiring a passport for reentry in 2008. So you have quite a while before you need to worry about that. However, are supposed to have 2 forms of ID and a passport makes for a really good one of them.
Old April 13th, 2005, 08:38 PM   #16
bucky
Hullaboarder

Send a message via ICQ to bucky Send a message via AIM to bucky
Why the hell would ya wanna fly into Michigan? That's still 3+ hours away!!

Fly into Buffalo... passports won't be needed until 2008

And leave your candy bracelets and stuff at home if you own that stuff.
Old April 15th, 2005, 09:53 PM   #17
~CrEaMy~
Hullaboarder

Because plane tickets are more expensive flying into any other city by around $100.
Old April 16th, 2005, 09:56 PM   #18
~CrEaMy~
Hullaboarder

I need a few more things from you kids if you can possibly help.

#1: Are there any restrictions as to being able to cross the border? What criminal charges might keep you from crossing?

#2: We are planning on bringing Kandi. Do the people at the border check every inch of your bags?
Old April 16th, 2005, 10:56 PM   #19
itsgigglegirl
Friendship Crew

any felon conviction at all (if they find out about it)...sometimes even DWI/DUI will keep you from being able to cross.

they usually won't check your bags on the way in/out unless you seem sketchy for some reason. That being said, we usually put our kandi inside our party bags at the bottom of our overnite/weekend bags underneath everything else we've got...they may ask you to open your trunk, and open up your bags just a bit, but that's about it...that's not to say you definitely won't get searched, but sunny and i have never been 'searched' more than that in all our times crossing.
Old April 17th, 2005, 12:46 AM   #20
kylefabulous
Queen Bitch Mod

yeah.. she's right.. as long as you stash yur candy and rave gear well enough.. it's no big deal.. just dress normal.. make a party bag.. keep it all in one place.. and stash that bag... but i would definately check into specific charges.. but i know my bf has possession charges and we cross the border ALL the time.. we live in detroit.. and he's NEVER even had a little problem...
Old April 17th, 2005, 05:55 AM   #21
itsgigglegirl
Friendship Crew

^^^but they've never run your info prolly

i've heard lots of stories of kids getting denied at the border for things as petty as a speeding ticket in the states...just as a precaution, if i were you i'd make sure that whoever has some *issue* has an alternative way to get home if you do happen to get fucked at the border, so the rest of you aren't denied entry too.

or you could just blow through the border as i've known some kids to do...not the prescribed method, but an option nonetheless
Old April 18th, 2005, 08:06 PM   #22
~CrEaMy~
Hullaboarder

I know that one of my friends has had a possession tickets, but other then that I am not to sure that there is anything else in which any of the crew have when it comes to felonies.

I appreciate the info. I am going to have to make sure that everyone in the group is decently dressed, and hides their Kandi and such.

One last questions though. Do they have any issues with 5 adults riding in a full size car?
Old April 18th, 2005, 08:24 PM   #23
kylefabulous
Queen Bitch Mod

if there are enough seatbelts for everyone.. there is no issue with it...

5 seatbelts = 5 people...

=)
Old May 13th, 2005, 01:18 PM   #24
ctraverboy
Hullaboarder

Send a message via AIM to ctraverboy Send a message via Yahoo to ctraverboy
The official rules(I had a potential issue last time, so I looked into it)

Youth convictions are irellevant, as are sealed records. In the case of sealed records, make sure that the records are actually sealed- some are sealed after a given period, or after the sentence is served, or upon reaching 21... make sure you know if the sealing condition has actually come to pass.

For felony convictions, it's a ten year wait under most circumstances.

For misdemeanors, two misdemeanors in the last five years are a bar to entry.

These waiting periods begin at the end of your sentence, not the date of conviction.

Exceptions can be granted, sometimes at the discretion of the customs official, but you should contact the Canadian government IN ADVANCE about it to start the paperwork. It may cost a fair bit of money depending on the situation, but the cheapest options are all if you do it as far in advance of your trip as possible.
Old May 13th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #25
basic
Hullaboarder

Location: Lurking in the bushes outside Chef Boyardee's house
Send a message via MSN to basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CrEaMy~
Because plane tickets are more expensive flying into any other city by around $100.

Just spend the money and avoid the hassles!

It's not like $100 is all that much more - you still have 2 months to save. It's about 12 bucks a week.